South staff and students are very fortunate to work with many parent and community volunteers. Volunteers help in many areas of our building and enhance the teaching and learning at our school. Parents are notified throughout the year via email with details on the specific volunteer needs, dates, and times.
Below are some of the SMS volunteer opportunities for the current school year. Take a moment to learn about some of the ways in which you can contribute and become involved!
To volunteer for any of the events listed below please contact Karla Anibas at 715-852-5207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Tutoring: Teachers are frequently looking for adults who are able to assist students in need of extra help on a regularly scheduled basis or an on-call basis. Help is typically needed with giving students a little one-on-one in a particular subject. This is a chance to make a big difference in the lives of some of our students. Grandparents are welcome!
* Media Center: Volunteers assist with library jobs as needed by the media center staff. Times are flexible with your schedule.
* Book Fairs: Each fall and spring SMS hosts a book fair for our students. Parents are needed to help with set up and take down of the fair. In addition, parents may help when classes are brought to the book fair to make their purchases.
* WKCE Snack Break: All students are given a snack break each day during WKCE state testing in October. Parents are needed to help set up and serve.
* Fun Nights and Parties: Parents help with chaperoning fun nights and parties.
· Sixth Grade Fun Night—TBD
· All School Halloween Fun Night—Friday, October 29, 2010 from 2:50-4:30 pm
· All School Valentine’s Dance—Friday, February 11, 2011 from 2:50-4:30 pm
· 8th Grade End of Middle School Celebration—Friday, June 3, 2011 from 6:30-8:30 pm
* Providing Food for Hospitality: A few times a year we try to provide treats and/or meals for special events. This is an easy way for parents to be involved who are not able to be at school during the school day.
There are MANY other volunteer opportunities at SMS during the school year: Music Department FUNdraising Celebration, Science Fair, Forensics Parent Night, 6th Grade World Expo Day, 6th Grade Camp Manitou Field Trip, 7th Grade Vision Screening, Staff Appreciation Week, Team Activities and All School Community Service Day.
We need and greatly value the involvement of our families at South Middle School!
Thank you for your gift of time and making a difference at South!