SUNDAY NOVEMBER 17TH IS THE CROSS-COUNTRY AWARDS POT LUCK
The awards ceremony and potluck dinner will be Sunday November 17th starting @ 3:00 PM in the Memorial High School commons / cafeteria.
OLD ABE GIRLS CAPTURE 6TH PLACE IN DIVISION 1 STATE MEET TO CAP ANOTHER GREAT SEASON. CONGRATULATIONS GIRLS!!
INFORMATION FOR OUR FIRST PRACTICE ON MONDAY AUGUST 19TH:
1. Please make sure you are cleared to practice through the athletic office. We only have ten practices before our first meet, and you can't afford to miss one because you are not cleared to practice - if you intend on competing in the first meet, that is.
2. Even though practice officially begins at 8:00 AM, you should plan on meeting in the wrestling room at Memorial High School by 7:50 AM. Please use the athletic entrance to Memorial High School to gain access to the building. This entrance is located on the east side of the building by the soccer fields.
3. Please bring a lock to lock up your valuables if you plan on using one of the lockers in the team locker room. If you use the entrance I've described above, you will pass the girls' team locker room on your way to the wrestling room.
4. Please bring a watch with a timing function every day to practice.
5. Please bring a water bottle to practice every day. You may want to write your name on the bottle so you don't confuse yours with another athlete's bottle.
6. Bring something to "refuel" with. This is something to eat and/or drink after practice to replenish energy stores that are depleted during a practice session. An energy bar with Gatorade is pretty common. I prefer chocolate milk, but that might be difficult to keep cold unless you bring a cooler. A bagel with peanut butter and an energy drink like Gatorade or Powerade also works well.
7. You might want to have a can of bug spray with you for each practice. Some of our practice locations can get pretty "buggy".
8. Make sure you eat breakfast before you come to practice.
FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE FOR THE FALL 2013 SEASON IS SET FOR MONDAY AUGUST 19TH.
To be cleared to practice, the following paperwork needs to be completed:
1.) A current W.I.A.A. physical dated after 4/1/12 - Physical forms are found on the Memorial athletic website on the right side under "forms", in the athletic office, and at most Dr.'s offices. If you are unsure when your son/daughter's last physical was you may contact the athletic office and they can help with that information as well. (Physicals are good for 2 years from the April 1st date).
2.) The Emergency Medical Treatment form - This is the yellow carbon form that includes name, address, insurance information and emergency contact. All athletes/parents at Memorial will fill this form out one time per year. If you fill it out for a fall sport you need not fill it out again as it stays on file in the athletic office through the end of the year. If you only play a winter sport, for example, you will need to fill it out at the winter sport code signing meeting.
3.) Athletic Code Receipt - This form is on the Memorial athletics website under Code Signing Materials. Please watch the powerpoint presentation and sign and return the athletic code receipt. This form is also signed once per year. Once you sign it, it is good for the entire school year.
4.) Concussion - Parent/Athlete Agreement form - This is the form that you were told could not be turned in at code signing, but rather must be turned in 1 week prior to the start of your season. This form is also on the Athletic Webpage under Concussion Links and the link is highlighted. This is a two page, or two sided form. Please remember when you turn in this form one week before your season that it is a two page form. This form is needed for every sport season. If you are a 3 sport athlete at Memorial, you will have 3 of these forms on file by June.
5.) Concussion Impact form - This form is BLUE and is required for all incoming freshmen, juniors and first time athletes at Memorial. This form can be turned in to the athletic office, but then goes to our Athletic Trainer for use during impact testing.
6.) Athletic Fee form - This form can be printed off the Memorial athletics webpage under "forms", picked up in the athletic office, or at the administration building. This form must be filled out by everyone whether a fee is required or not, and either mailed or dropped off at administration building at 500 main st. in the accounting office
OPTIONAL SUMMER RUNS (CAPTAIN'S PRACTICES) STARTING MONDAY JUNE 17TH:
Meet @ 8:00 AM @ the Memorial High School track. Work-outs are planned for Monday through Friday each week - same time and same location through the end of July. Memorial cross-country coaches may be present for the first few minutes of these "fun runs", but the runs are predominantly led by juniors and seniors.
These runs are open to all interested student-athletes, not just cross-country runners. Bring a friend if you'd like. Attend when you can, but the more consistent you are, the more beneficial to you. You'll need a watch with a stopwatch function because some runs will be timed.
Concussion links: The highlighted link you see below is the form to be turned in by the parent and athlete. This form needs to be on file for every sports season and is submitted to the athletic office ONE WEEK prior to the beginning of the season, not before.
Athlete link: http://sped.dpi.wi.gov/files/sped/pdf/tbi-conc-facts-athletes.pdf
Parent link: http://sped.dpi.wi.gov/files/sped/pdf/tbi-conc-facts-parents.pdf
Parent / athlete agreement link: http://dpi.wi.gov/sped/pdf/tbi-conc-parath-agree.pdf
THE NEXT HIGHWAY CLEAN-UP IS SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY AUGUST 24TH.
Athletes planning on participating should meet at the indoor Sports Center parking lot by 9:25AM. We will return to the same parking lot between 11:30 and noon. Athletes should wear long pants, a long sleeve shirt, a hat, durable close-toed shoes, and work gloves.
Those athletes planning on participating in the highway clean-up should view a video on highway safety. The video can be accessed by doing the following:
1. Visit the Department of Transportation website at www.dot.state.wi.us .
2. Select the link titled "Programs for local government".
3. Under "other aid", select "adopt-a-highway".
4. Select the "adopt-a-highway safety tips" video on YouTube. The video lasts about 7 minutes.